Dry Scalp? Look for these Ingredients
A very common hair concern, dry scalp, happens to the best of us. Whether it’s the change in seasons or from using the wrong products, dry scalp can be irritating and painful.
What causes dry scalp?
This condition can come from a combination of things but most commonly derives from cold weather, hair care routines that include high heat and products with high pH levels, stress, nutritional deficiencies and dehydration. Basically, when the skin doesn’t get enough moisture, it becomes irritated and flakes off.
But how do I know if I have dry scalp or dandruff?
Although they share many of the same main symptoms, dandruff occurs when there is a build up of oil on the scalp where dry scalp is strictly due to the lack of hydration. Dandruff will result in larger white flakes that tend to be on the oily side whereas with dry scalp, the flakes are usually quite fine, much smaller and can appear to be white or slightly yellow.
So if you’re noticing this hair concern and looking for ways to combat it, pay attention to the ingredients in all the products you use. From shampoos and conditioners, to styling pastes and sprays, look for products with the following ingredients that will help reduce dry scalp and add more moisture to the scalp:
- Lavender Extract - restores, moisturizes, and softens dull, dry hair
- Rosemary Extract - relieves irritated, dry, flaky scalp
- Calendula Extract - hydrates dry scalp, removes dandruff and improves the condition of the scalp
- Vegetable Glycerin - deeply moisturizes and hydrates hair, and reduces scalp itching
- Nettle Leaf Extract - makes hair shinier, healthier and treats dandruff
- Camellia Leaf Extract - restores hairs natural sheen, retains moisture, eases dry scalp and itchiness
- Seaweed Extract - nourishes the scalp, keeps hair shiny and helps maintain a healthy scalp
- ProVitamin B5 - binds hair follicles, coats and seals in moisture
- Biotin - stimulates keratin production, increases the rate of follicle growth and relieves scalp itchiness
- Beeswax - moisturizes, seals strands, and soothes scalp conditions
Our NEW MOON BIOTIN SHAMPOO and HIGH TIDE SEA SALT SPRAY also contain many of the mentioned ingredients that will help with dry scalp.
However, if we can leave you with one thing, it’s to remember how important it is to also hydrate your skin from the inside out. Drinking water will keep your skin and scalp naturally moisturized.